Most of my nesting energy in the past month has been put towards sewing projects. I have made a whole bunch of different things, some for my baby and some for friends who are having babies (I won't be posting those, cause I don't want my friends who are having babies to see them yet).
This first project is a play mat. I found the tutorial here, at the Purl Bee (this site is great and has a bunch of cute projects and free tutorials). I like the way it turned out, but I still have some finishing touches I need to add. Like, I haven't decided how I want to tie it together. The fabric I used doesn't have the same bold patterns as the tutorial, so I don't know if I want to stitch around the shapes like they did or just do a simple symmetrical tie. Any ideas?
This next project was a fun one. I have heard with little boys these really come in handy while changing diapers. Pee pee teepees. Need I say more?
This last project is one that I planned to finish as an anniversary gift for Houston back in July. It took me way too long to get this done. Luckily all this nesting energy has got me finishing all kinds of overdue projects.
I made Houston a sketchbook a couple years ago for Christmas, it had some amazing paper in it that we both love. Houston recently filled up all the pages of that sketchbook, so I wanted to get the same paper and make him a new one. It took me a while to track it down for a decent price, but I was finally able to at New York Central Art Supply. If you are an artist in NYC, visiting this store is a must. If you haven't been, you should go right now.
The Leather I used for the cover of this book was found by my friend, LeeAnn, at a thrift store. A pair of brand new soft leather pants. The original tag that was still on them had them priced for about $350, she paid $8. Then we cut them up and made books.
The paper I used for the inside cover is from a great old map that my dad let me take. I love the limited color on the map and I like that it makes the sketchbook feel more "manly".
I love making books, I wish it didn't take so much time, so I could do it more often. Although, I have recently found a way to speed up the process. I find books with interesting covers, cut those covers off and create my own text block to fit inside them. It cuts out so many steps. I have made a bunch of these and they make great sketchbooks and look really nice. I'll post one of those on here soon.